Main Office: 185 Victoria Square, Adelaide, SA 5000
A medium sized firm in Southern Australia, Andersons Solicitors has a network of office locations across metropolitan Adelaide and regional South... View profile »
Main Office: Level 5, 195 Victoria Square, Adelaide, SA 5000
A small boutique law firm, Duddy Shopov was founded in 1999 and practices from offices in the heart of the legal... View profile »
Main Office: 84 Flinders Street, Adelaide, SA 5000
The partnership practicing as Hume Taylor & Co has its origins in the 1950′s when the practice of Zelling Matheson &... View profile »
Main Office: 262 Wright Street, Adelaide, SA 5000
Michael W. Speck & Co is a law firm that has been around since 1995 and was founded by Michael Speck... View profile »
Main Office: 302 King St, Melbourne, VIC 3000
Nowicki Carbone was established in 2000, a merger of two experienced lawyers Tony Carbone and Harry Nowicki. In 2010 the Firm... View profile »
Main Office: Level 5, 28-30 Grenfell Street, Adelaide, SA 5000
PMN Lawyers have been in practice since 1983. The law firm has only ever worked on behalf of injured people to... View profile »
Main Office: Level 5, 44 Market Street, Sydney, NSW 2000
A major consumer law firm in Australia, Slater & Gordon Lawyers provides legal services to the people of Australia. The firm... View profile »
Main Office: 76 Light Square, Adelaide, SA 5000
With a culture of service, and a determination to get it right for their client, Tindall Gask Bentley has earned a... View profile »
Main Office: Level 3, 366 King William Street, Adelaide, SA 5000
Wearing Law has been around for almost twenty years and has been helping people of Southern Australia with many of their... View profile »
Compensation Law in Adelaide
The seeking of compensation benefits revolves around the idea of seeking fair allowances for injuries suffered. Here is an example that occurs very often. You are driving defensively on the road and approaching an intersection that has a green light. You start passing through the intersection, when suddenly another driver rams into the side of your car, causing both you and your vehicle irreparable quantities of harm.
Such accidents sadly occur every single day. You are doing what you are supposed to do, but somebody else isn’t doing the same. And that somebody winds up causing you or your property harm.
Obviously, given the scenario cited, you would of course be compensated through auto insurance. However, what happens when guilt isn’t so obvious and must instead be proven in a court of law?
Why Hire An Adelaide Compensation Lawyer
Guilt isn’t always obvious. Sometimes, when guilt is not as obvious, the guilty party tries to deny responsibility. They do this because they don’t want to pay compensation to you. When this occurs, the only option becomes to hire a compensation lawyer to prove to the Adelaide Magistrates’ Court that the other party is indeed guilty.
Below are some examples where guilt might require courtroom proceedings to prove:
- When a doctor purposefully or accidentally engages in malpractice.
- When a public property owner fails to identify safety hazards.
- When an employer fails to protect employees from workplace hazards.
- When someone purposefully or unintentionally beaches a contract.
The common theme is that someone else causes you harm but denies responsibility. As a result, you wind up with boatloads of bills for various services (surgery, rehabilitation, prescription medications, vehicle repair, etc.). It therefore makes sense that you prove guilt so that you can be compensated.
What To Know About The Adelaide Civil Court System
All compensation claims involving something that happened in Adelaide are processed through the Adelaide Magistrates’ Court. This court is located between the 260 and 280 blocks of Victoria Square in downtown Adelaide.
What To Look For When Hiring A Compensation Lawyer
Deciding to hire a lawyer is step one. The next step is obviously to actually hire one. Before you go and do that, please do review the following tips on what to look for and avoid when dealing with lawyers.
- Look for specialists. When dealing with compensation claims, it’s recommended that you hire a compensation specialist. General practitioners are plenty skilled, but they aren’t always as knowledgeable about compensation law as you would ideally like.
- Keep an ear open for pragmatism. Some lawyers operate like salespeople by touting extravagant claims. Stick with those lawyers who are realistic about your case and their expectations. Remember that there is no easy win when it comes to compensation.
- Appreciate good communication. Like people, not all lawyers are good communicators. Some make a stalwart effort to keep in touch with clients, while others barely ever send an email or make a call. It is generally better to choose one who is willing to take the time to speak with you.