Main Office: Level 10, 456 Lonsdale Street, Melbourne, VIC 3000
Maurice Blackburn Lawyers was founded in 1919 by Maurice McCrae Blackburn. The founder’s belief was that the law should serve everyone,... View profile »
Main Office: Level 10, 533 Little Lonsdale St, Melbourne, VIC 3000
With over 60,000 successful injury case wins, and 40 years of practicing law, Ryan Carlisle Thomas Lawyers are one of Victoria’s... View profile »
Main Office: Level 5, 44 Market Street, Sydney, NSW 2000
A major consumer law firm in Australia, Slater & Gordon Lawyers provides legal services to the people of Australia. The firm... View profile »
Compensation Law in Geelong
Compensation litigation is a unique form of law that involves forcing a negligent party to make payments toward injuries you sustained. It covers many types of injuries—broken bones, back strain, fractures, burns, stress/anxiety disorders, asbestosis, mesothelioma, death, etc. More importantly, it provides you with protection, in that you are not ultimately responsible for paying for the injuries you sustain.
The thing to understand is that to lodge and win a compensation claim, you need the services of a trained compensation attorney.
Compensation Attorneys in Geelong
Geelong hosts several compensation attorneys. A compensation lawyer is simply someone with the training necessary to file a valid compensation claim. If hired, a compensation lawyer will conduct an investigation on your behalf for the purpose of finding as much evidence as possible to back up your claim. The goal is to prove without a doubt that somebody else is ultimately responsible for your injury.
More importantly, Geelong compensation attorneys are trained to deal with many types of compensation claims:
- Personal Injury Claims
- Work Injury Claims
- Motor Vehicle Accident Claims
- Bike Accident Claims
- Product Liability Claims
- Dog Bite Claims
- Medical Negligence Claims
- Slip And Fall Claims
- Victims Compensation Claims
The exact litigation required differs based on the type of claim you need to file. However, the general course is always the same — the lawyer proves negligence and then works to make sure you get paid.
Compensation Law in Geelong, Victoria
To have a compensation claim filed in Geelong, you will need to deal with either the local court or regional court. The local court is for claims under $100,000, while the regional court is for those claims involving compensation damages over $100,000.
Local Court: Geelong Magistrates’ Court
Geelong, Victoria 3220
Regional Court: County Court Of Victoria
250 William Street
Melbourne, Victoria 3000
Choosing a Reliable Geelong Attorney
Finding a reliable compensation lawyer is not easy to do. There are quite a few attorneys in the Geelong area, so how do you go about choosing a reliable one? Once you find some compensation lawyers, consider using the tips below to help narrow down your list:
- Search for biographical information. Does the lawyer belong to any notable law associations? How long has he or she been practicing?
- Use the Internet to search for the lawyer. Are there any articles about him or her? Are there any client complaints?
- Contact your local bar association and ask them about the lawyer. Does he or she still have a good standing with them?
- Ask the lawyer for references. Call these references and ask them about the attorney — how did the attorney handle the case; did the attorney win the case; etc.?
- Take advantage of the free initial consultation offered by all lawyers. Use it to ask pertinent questions regarding how the lawyer practices law.
Get Started Early
If you feel that you need to file a compensation claim, it bodes well to get started right away. The passage of time makes it that much easier for evidence to disappear or become less relevant.